Ceviche lightly pickles raw fish to conserve freshness and bring out its true flavor
Prep Time: prep 20 mins, plus marinating
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1lb ( 450g) very fresh, firm-fleshed fish, such as salmon, snapper, tuna, or monkfish
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 / 2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 fresh hot red or green chile, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- With a sharp knife, thinly slice the fish.
- Spread the sliced onion evenly in the bottom of a shallow nonreactive dish. Pour the lime juice over the onion, then sprinkle it with the oil, paprika, and chile.
- Layer the fish on top, turning the slices to coat with the marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve chilled.
- prep 20 mins, plus marinating
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!