Type: Appetizers and Snacks
This is an unabashed and lavish party dip that is a riot of colors and flavors. It looks stunning served in a deep glass dish.
Prep Time: 20M
Serves: serves 16-20
Egg, gluten, & nut free
- 3 avocados
- juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 1 lb canned refried beans
- 2 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cups drained pitted black olives, halved
- 8 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 6 1/2 cups cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, coarsely grated
- chopped cilantro and scallions to garnish
- Peel and mash the avocados with the lime juice, using a fork.
- To assemble, layer the refried beans over the base of a large glass dish. Add the mashed avocados and then the sour cream and sprinkle the chili powder on top.
- For the green pepper layer, sprinkle the chopped pepper around the perimeter of the dish first, to ensure that the layer is visible, and sprinkle the rest evenly over the center. Layer the halved olives carefully on top and spoon over the chopped tomatoes and red onion. Finally, add the cheese and the cilantro and scallion garnish. Chill until ready to serve.
- If you like things spicier, add 3 tablespoons of chopped jalapeño peppers to the green pepper layer and replace the chili powder with 1 oz of taco seasoning.
- Watch out for chili powder, since some people cannot tolerate chili. Substitute with an equal quantity of ground cumin if this is a problem.
Dairy free also egg, gluten & nut free: Follow the recipe for egg, gluten & nut free; Seven-layer dip, but replace the sour cream with the same quantity of dairy-free sour cream or soy yogurt, and the cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese with the same quantity of the nondairy equivalent.
Excerpted from Allergy-Free Cookbook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!