Shrimp and Zucchini Balls with Caper Cream
Caper cream makes the perfect dipping sauce for these tasty shrimp and zucchini balls.
Prep Time: 30M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: Serves 6-8
- 11/4lb (550g) raw shrimp, shelled, deveined, and finely chopped
- 9oz (250g) zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed through a press
- 2 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- grated zest and juice of 1 small lemon
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 9fl oz (250ml) sour cream
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed, gently squeezed dry, and chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 2 cups olive oil, for frying
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl, combine the shrimp, zucchini, garlic, parsley, lemon zest and juice, and eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well by hand until blended. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the sour cream, capers, and dill in a small bowl, and season with black pepper. Stir until just until blended, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until needed.
- Pour the oil into a heavy wide frying pan over medium-high heat. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of the shrimp mixture into the palm of your hand, and roll into a ball about the size of a walnut. Continue until all the mixture has been used. When the oil is hot, gently drop the balls into the oil using a slotted spoon. Fry for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown all over, turning gently as you go. Do not overcrowd the pan-cook in batches if necessary. Remove from the pan using the slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels.
- To serve, arrange the shrimp and zucchini balls on a serving platter with a small bowl of the caper cream, and let your guests help themselves.
- To prepare the zucchini, grate on the large holes of a cheese grater.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!