Shrimp, Avocado, and Watercress Sandwich
Avocado and watercress add creaminess and crunch to this shrimp sandwich.
Prep Time: 30M
Cooking Time: 5M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 24 raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 fresh red Thai chile pepper, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 small cucumber, preferably Persian, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- a few sprigs of fresh mint, leaves picked and coarsely torn
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 1 tbsp chopped rinsed and drained capers
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 thick slices crusty bread
- 4 handfuls of watercress
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and cook the shrimp, ginger, and chile for 3-5 minutes, stirring, until the shrimp turn pink and opaque. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Set aside to cool, then chop coarsely.
- Halve, pit, and peel the avocado. Dice the flesh, and put it in a bowl. Add the cucumber, mint, dill, capers, onion, and lime juice. Scrape in the chopped shrimp mixture, and toss gently to mix, being careful not to mash the avocado. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mixture evenly over 4 slices of the bread. Arrange the watercress on top so that it will come out over the sides of the sandwich. Cover with the other bread slices to make 4 sandwiches, and serve.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!