Simple Grilled Balsamic Red Onions with Basil and Parmesan
This easy side dish is ideal for anyone who loves Italian flavors and grilled onions.
Serves: Serves 4 to 6 as a side dish
- 2 large red onions, peeled and sliced into rings about 1in (2.5cm) thick
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Build a fire in your grill. When the coals are all ignited, the flames have died down, and the temperature is medium (see Gauging the temperature), you're ready to cook.
- Rub the onion slices with the vegetable oil, keeping the rings together. Sprinkle the onions generously with salt and pepper. Put them on the grill directly over the coals and cook until soft and golden brown-about 10 minutes per side.
- When the onions are done, transfer them to a medium-sized bowl and add the olive oil, vinegar, basil, and parmesan, tossing to separate the onion slices into rings and incorporate all of the ingredients.
- Pile the grilled onions on a serving platter and drizzle generously with the remaining dressing.
Excerpted from Grill It!.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!