Spicy Feta Squares
These crunchy little snacks are packed with the rich and salty flavors of Greek feta cheese
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 25 mins
Serves: makes about 75 squares
- 9 tbsp unsalted butter, softened, plus more for the baking sheets
- 1 / 2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 9oz ( 250g) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 / 4 cup whole milk
- 1 1 / 2 tsp baking powder
- scant 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter 2 large baking sheets. Process the butter in a food processor until soft and smooth. With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil. Add the feta cheese, milk, and baking powder and pulse 2 or 3 times until combined.
- Add half the flour and pulse until evenly blended. Add the remaining flour and pulse again. Turn out onto a clean work surface and knead briefly until the dough is smooth and soft. (If you do not have a food processor, beat the olive oil and milk into the butter with an electric hand mixer. Stir in the cheese, then work in the flour and baking powder with your hands.)
- Divide the mixture in half. Press each portion into a large square about 1/8in (3mm) thick. Sprinkle with poppy seeds and cayenne pepper. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1in (2.5cm) squares. Transfer to the baking sheets, about 3/4in (20mm) apart.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned. Transfer the squares to a wire cake rack. Serve warm or let cool.
- prep 10 mins; cook 25 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!