Stuffed Finger Sandwiches
Layer turkey, spinach leaves, pepper strips, and artichoke hearts over cream cheese on French bread, and create a memorable appetizer.
Serves: 18 appetizers
- 1 long, thin loaf French bread (about 24 x 2 inches)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons nonfat or reduced-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed fresh garlic
- 4 ounces thinly sliced cooked turkey breast
- 8-10 fresh tender spinach leaves
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut in thin strips
- 1/2 cup chopped frozen (thawed) artichoke hearts, or 1/2 cup drained and chopped canned artichoke hearts
- Using a serrated knife, slice the French bread lengthwise, cutting off the top third of the loaf. Using your fingers, remove and discard enough of the soft inner bread to leave only a 1/2-inch-thick shell.
- Place the cream cheese, Italian seasoning, and garlic in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Spread half of this mixture evenly over the inside of the bottom shell. Roll up the turkey slices, and arrange them in an even layer over the cream cheese mixture. Lay the spinach leaves over the turkey, and top with a layer of pepper strips. Finish with a layer of artichokes.
- Spread the remaining cream cheese mixture over the inside of the top shell. Place the top shell over the bottom shell to reform the loaf, and wrap the loaf tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Chill for several hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, unwrap the loaf, and use a serrated knife to cut the loaf diagonally into 1-inch slices. Secure each piece with a wooden toothpick, arrange on a platter, and serve.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.