Sun-Dried Tomato and Scallion Spread
Type: Appetizers and Snacks
For this recipe, do not purchase sun-dried tomatoes that are packed in oil. Your health and the taste of the spread will both suffer.
Serves: 1 1/8 cups (1 Tablespoon servings)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 block (8 ounces) nonfat or reduced-fat
- cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil or Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- Place sun-dried tomatoes and water in small pot, and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 2 minutes, or just until the water has been absorbed and the tomatoes have plumped. Remove the pot from the heat, and set aside.
- Place the cream cheese in a small bowl, and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the tomatoes and the basil or Italian seasoning, and beat just until well mixed. Stir in the scallions. Transfer the spread to a serving dish, cover, and chill for several hours.
- Serve with sliced bagels, wedges of pita bread, whole grain crackers, or celery sticks, or use as a filling for hollowed-out cherry tomatoes or finger sandwiches.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.