This vinegar-soaked rice is a key component of many Japanese dishes.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain rice (Japanese-style rice)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine rice and water in medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 45 to 60 seconds; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let rice stand 10 minutes.
- Combine vinegar, sugar and salt in small saucepan; bring to a boil and cook until sugar and salt are completely dissolved.
- Spread hot rice onto large platter or bowl; pour vinegar mixture over rice and fold carefully without smashing rice. Makes 3 cups rice.
- For best results, do not use instant, converted or brown rice to prepare sushi rice.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.