Tomato, Red Onion, and Mozzarella Salad
Tomatoes, red onion, and mozzarella make the perfect combination.
Prep Time: 10M
Serves: Serves 4
- 8 small ripe plum tomatoes, sliced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
- generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 handfuls of arugula (rocket) leaves
- good splash of balsamic vinegar
- 8oz (2 balls) fresh mozzarella, drained and torn into pieces
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the tomatoes, red onion, and half of the basil leaves in a bowl. Drizzle generously with olive oil, season well with salt and pepper, and toss gently to blend.
- Arrange the arugula leaves on a serving platter; drizzle with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the tomato mixture over the top. Scatter with the torn mozzarella and the remaining basil leaves.
- Drizzle again with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and serve.
- Consider investing in a good-quality fruity extra virgin olive oil and an aged balsamic vinegar that is both deliciously sweet and thick.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!