Tomatoes Stuffed with Okra and Rice
Okra and rice make a great stuffing for tomatoes.
Prep Time: 30M
Cooking Time: 1H
Serves: Serves 6-8
- 8 large ripe (but not too ripe) beefsteak tomatoes
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 11/4lb (550g) okra, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp tomato paste or purée
- juice of 2 lemons
- 13/4 oz (50g) pine nuts
- 9oz (250g) long-grain rice
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 11/4 cups hot vegetable stock
- large handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
- Carefully cut around the top of each tomato to make a hole 2in (5cm) in diameter. Using a teaspoon, remove the insides, ensuring you leave a wall at least 1/2in (1cm) thick. Discard the flesh and set the tomato shells aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan, add the onions, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until starting to soften. Add the okra and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, lemon juice, and pine nuts. Add the rice, season with the pepper, then stir to combine and add the stock.
- Cook for 10 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the parsley and thyme, and remove from the heat. Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Stuff the tomatoes evenly with the rice mixture. Place them in a deep baking dish, packing them in fairly tightly. Drizzle with the rest of the olive oil, sprinkle with the caraway seeds, if using, and cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Serve with crusty bread and a green salad.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!