Veggie-Cheese Finger Sandwiches
The scallions, bell pepper, and parsley add healthy flavor to this veggie-cheese sandwich.
Serves: 32 appetizers
- 2 blocks (8 ounces each) nonfat or reduced fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1-2 teaspoons prepared horseradish or spicy mustard (optional)
- 16 slices firm whole wheat, rye, or pumpernickel bread
- Place the softened cream cheese in a medium-sized bowl. Place the vegetables, parsley, and, if desired, the horseradish or mustard in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Stir the vegetable mixture into the softened cream cheese, cover, and chill for several hours to allow the flavors to blend.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the filling over each of 8 slices of bread. Top each slice with 1 of the remaining slices, making 8 sandwiches. Trim the crusts from the bread, and cut each sandwich into 4 fingers. Arrange the sandwiches on a platter and serve immediately, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 hours before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.