Wild Mushroom Tartlets
Type: Appetizers and Snacks
Earthy mushroom tartlets get an elegant accent with chive hollandaise sauce
Prep Time: 40M, plus chilling
Cooking Time: 40M
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 oz ( 15g) dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp butter
- 14oz ( 400g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4oz ( 115g) cream cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp chive hollandaise sauce
- chopped fresh chives, for garnish
For the pastry
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 6 tbsp butter, chilled and diced
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 2 tbsp water
- To make the filling, soak the dried mushrooms in the boiling water for 20 minutes to soften. Drain and chop the soaked mushrooms. Heat the butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and onion and cook 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are softened. Add the soaked mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes more, until the mushrooms are sizzling. Stir in the lemon juice. Let cool. Pulse the mushroom mixture and cream cheese in a food processor until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, make the pastry. Pulse the flour and butter in a food processor until it resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add the egg mixture and pulse just until it clumps together. Gather into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Have ready the tart pans with removable bottoms. Divide the dough into 6 portions, and roll out each on a lightly floured work surface into a 1/8in (3mm) thick round. Line each pan with a round, trimming the excess dough. Prick the dough with a fork. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line each tart pan with parchment paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake until the crusts are lightly browned, about 5 minutes more. Remove the pans from the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F (190°C).
- Spread the mushroom mixture in the pastry shells. Top each with 1 tbsp hollandaise sauce. Bake for 10 minutes, until the hollandaise glazes. Remove the tarts from the pans and transfer to plates. Sprinkle with chives and serve hot.
- six 4in (10cm) tart pans with removable bottoms, baking beans
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!