Zucchini coins make a great snack -- just reheat them in the toaster oven or microwave.
Serves: Makes about 3 cups
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Slice the zucchini into 1/2" coins. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, water, baking powder, and salt until blended though still lumpy. Fold in the zucchini until evenly coated.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Test with a few drops of batter. The oil is ready when the batter immediately bubbles and sets.
- Working in batches, fry the zucchini coins 3-4 minutes on each side until crispy and golden brown. Space the coins far enough apart so they do not touch.
- Drain on paper towels and let cool. Refrigerate leftovers and reheat them in a toaster oven.
Reprinted from The Baby Bistro Cookbook: Healthy, Delicious Cuisine for Babies, Toddlers, and You by Joohee Muromcew. Copyright © 2003 by Joohee Muromcew. Permission granted by Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098. Available wherever books are sold or directly from the publisher by calling (800) 848-4735 or visit their website at www.rodalestore.com.