Strawberry and Orange CrÍpes
Light, melt-in-the-mouth pancakes with a creamy filling make an irresistible dessert
Prep Time: 30M, plus standing
Cooking Time: 30M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp butter, melted, plus more for the pan
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- pinch of salt
For the filling
- 12oz ( 350g) strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1lb ( 450g) ricotta cheese
- 1-2 tbsp clear honey
- finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- To make the crÍpes, process the flour, milk, eggs, butter, sugar, and salt in a blender until smooth. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Lightly grease a frying pan with melted butter. Add about 3 tbsp of the batter to the pan, and tilt and swirl the pan so the batter covers the bottom. Cook until the underside is golden brown. Turn the crÍpe and cook until the other side is golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, buttering the pan as needed. You should have 8 crÍpes. Separate the crÍpes with pieces of wax paper.
- To make the filling, place half of the strawberries and orange segments in a serving bowl and reserve. Mix the ricotta, honey, and lemon zest together. Divide the ricotta filling and remaining strawberries and oranges evenly over the crÍpes. Fold each crÍpe into a triangle.
- Serve at once with the reserved strawberries and oranges on the side.
- freeze the pancakes for up to 3 months
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!