Apple Breakfast Strata
Planning a family brunch that calls for something extra special? This oven-baked egg dish puffs up golden and fills your kitchen with the irresistible scent of baked apples.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 8 slices reduced-calorie French or Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (8-ounce) package Philadelphia fat-free cream cheese
- 1 1/4 cups Cary's Sugar Free Maple Syrup
- 2 cups (4 small) cored, peeled, and chopped cooking apples
- 2/3 cup Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk Powder
- 1 cup water
- 6 eggs or equivalent in egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Place half of bread cubes in an ungreased 11-by-7-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, stir cream cheese with a spoon until soft. Add 1/2 cup maple syrup. Mix gently to combine. Drop cream cheese mixture by spoonful evenly over top of bread cubes.
- Evenly sprinkle chopped apples over cream cheese mixture. Top with remaining bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine dry milk powder and water. Add eggs and apple pie spice. Mix well to combine using a wire whisk. Pour milk mixture evenly over top.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until strata is set.
- Drizzle remaining 3/4 cup maple syrup evenly over top. Cut into 6 servings. Serve at once.
From COOKING HEALTHY WITH THE KIDS IN MIND by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright ฉ 1998 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here.