Apple Butter Bran Muffins
Apple butter is a thick, dark, and spicy puree that adds lots of sweet flavor to these bran muffins.
Serves: 12 muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat buttermilk
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons walnut or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dark raisins
- Place the flour, wheat bran, oat bran, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl, and stir to mix well. Add the apple butter, buttermilk, egg whites, and oil, and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the raisins.
- Coat the bottoms only of muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray, and fill three-fourths full with the batter. Bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes, or just until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake.
- Remove the muffin tins from the oven, and allow to sit for 5 minutes before removing the muffins. Serve warm or at room temperature, refrigerating any leftovers not eaten within 24 hours.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.