Artichoke and Roasted Red Pepper Omelette
Roasted red peppers and Italian seasoning are a great counterpoint to the artichokes and cheese in this omelette.
Serves: 1 serving
- 1/2 cup fat-free egg substitute
- Pinch ground black pepper
- Pinch dried Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped frozen (thawed) or canned (drained) artichoke hearts
- 2 tablespoons chopped commercial roasted red pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded nonfat or reduced-fat mozzarella or provolone cheese
- Coat an 8-inch nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium-low heat. Add the egg substitute, and cook without stirring for about 2 minutes, or until set around the edges. Sprinkle with the pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Use a spatula to lift the edges of the omelette, and allow the uncooked egg to flow beneath the cooked portion. Cook for another minute or 2, or until the eggs are almost set.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top of the omelette. Then spread first the artichokes and then the roasted pepper and cheese over half of the omelette. Fold the other half over the filling and cook for another minute or 2, or until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted.
- Slide the omelette onto a plate, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.