Bacon 'n' Eggs Brunch
This bacon and eggs dish is a hearty breakfast meal-in-a-pan.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 4 slices whole-wheat low-fat bread, crusts removed
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning
- 3/4 cup shredded nonfat cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup low-fat bacon crumbles (i.e., McCormick)
- 1/3 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1/2 cup frozen low-fat hash brown potatoes, thawed
- Spray a 9-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange bread slices on bottom of dish.
- Combine egg substitute, egg whites, skim milk, pepper, Mrs. Dash seasoning, 1/2 cup cheese, bacon crumbles and mushrooms, if using, in medium bowl; mix well. Pour mixture over bread slices.
- Top with hash brown potatoes and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake, uncovered, 40 to 45 minutes, until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Egg whites contain a significant amount of sulfur, an antioxidant that promotes healthy nerve and muscle function.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.