Baked French Toast
French bread makes great French toast, and this recipe makes it healthy.
Serves: Serves: 8
- 1 cup lite maple syrup
- 1 pound loaf French bread, cut into 2-inch-thick slices
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- Spray large baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour syrup in bottom of dish. Arrange bread slices on top of syrup.
- Combine egg substitute, egg whites, skim milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl and mix until blended. Pour mixture over bread slices, generously soaking bread.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- To prepare and serve: Preheat oven to 350F. Bake French toast casserole 40 to 45 minutes, until golden brown. Serve with additional syrup, powdered sugar or cinnamon-sugar mixture if desired.
- One more good reason not to skip breakfast: Those who eat breakfast are up to 10 pounds slimmer than those who go hungry before noon.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.