Banana and Almond Muffins
Use up your overly ripe bananas in these easy and comforting muffins that are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or snacks.
Serves: serves 6
- 11/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 11/2 tsp baking powder
- 11/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 6 large ripe bananas, thoroughly mashed
- 11/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz (100 g) almonds, toasted and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl and mix well together.
- Mix the eggs, bananas, sugar, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl and then pour them into the dry ingredients. Mix them together until just combined. (Be careful not to overmix or the muffins will be rubbery.)
- Fold in the almonds.
- Fill each muffin cup to the rim with batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until firm to the touch and golden on top.
- Cool the muffins for 2-3 minutes and serve them warm or at room temperature.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!