Banana French Toast
Banana French toast is delicious made with English muffin halves or presliced bread.
Serves: 12 slices (1 slice per serving)
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free egg substitute
- 1 cup sliced banana (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 oblong loaf multigrain or oatmeal bread (about 6-x-12 inches, or 1 pound), unsliced
- Place the egg substitute, banana, milk, vanilla extract, and nutmeg in a blender, and process until smooth. Pour the mixture into a shallow bowl, and set aside.
- Slice twelve 3/4-inch-thick pieces of bread from the loaf. (You will need only about three-fourths of the loaf.) Dip each bread slice in the egg mixture, turning to coat both sides and to thoroughly soak the bread.
- Coat a griddle or large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles when it hits the surface. (If using an electric griddle, preheat the griddle to 375°F.)
- Arrange the bread slices on the griddle, and cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. As the slices are done, transfer them to a serving plate and keep warm in a preheated oven.
- Serve hot, topped with maple syrup or honey. Garnish with a few banana slices and a sprinkling of pecans, if desired.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.