Blueberry muffins (allergy-free)
The all-time favorite blueberry muffin can now be enjoyed allergy-free. Quick and easy to make, these light vanilla-flavored muffins are oozing with juicy fruit.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: makes 6 large or 10 small muffins
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar, plus extra for dusting (optional)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup blueberries
- ground cinnamon for dusting (optional)
- Line 6 large or 10 small sections of a muffin pan with paper muffin cups or butter the pan well. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a saucepan. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Stir in the sugar.
- Make a well in the center, pour in the milk, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and egg. Fold the mixture quickly to combine, but don't worry if there are a few lumps. Fold the blueberries carefully into the mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan (they will be almost full).
- If desired, sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake in the oven until risen, lightly golden in color, and the centers spring back when lightly pressed, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, dust with superfine sugar and let cool.
Dairy free also nut free: Follow the recipe for Nut free, but substitute dairy-free spread for the butter or ordinary margarine and soy, rice, or oat milk for the cow's milk.
Egg free also nut free: Follow the recipe for Nut free, but substitute 1 tablespoon of potato flour mixed with 3 tablespoons of water for the beaten egg. The eggfree muffins will be slightly paler and smoother on top, but equally delicious.
Gluten free also nut free: Follow the recipe for Nut free, but substitute gluten-free all-purpose flour for the ordinary all-purpose flour and check that the baking powder is gluten free as well. Add an extra 4 tablespoons of milk.
Excerpted from Allergy-Free Cookbook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!