Breakfast burritos are perfect for a breakfast on-the-run.
Serves: 4 servings
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) diced ham, at least 97% lean
- 3 tablespoons drained canned chopped green chilies
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free egg substitute
- 4 flour tortillas (8-inch rounds)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fat-free or reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup picante sauce (optional)
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Add the onion and ham, cover, and cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes, or until the onion is crisp-tender. Add the chilies, and stir to mix well. Making Breakfast Burritos
- Pour the egg substitute over the onion mixture, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook uncovered without stirring for about 5 minutes, or until the eggs are almost set. Stirring gently to scramble, continue to cook for another minute or 2, or until the eggs are cooked but not dry.
- While the eggs are cooking, warm the tortillas according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Arrange the warm tortillas on a flat surface. Place a quarter of the egg mixture along the right side of each tortilla, stopping 1 1/2 inches from the bottom. Top the eggs with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the cheese and, if desired, 1 tablespoon of the picante sauce.
- Fold the bottom edge of each tortilla up about 1 inch. (This fold will prevent the filling from falling out.) Then, beginning at the right edge, roll each tortilla up jelly-roll style. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.