Try the rolled and old-fashioned varieties of oatmeal, for the healthiest breakfast.
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats*
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple (about 1 large)
- 1/4 cup dark raisins
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- * Look for oats that cook in 5 minutes.
- Place all of the ingredients in a 2-quart pot, and stir to mix well. Bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the oats are tender and the liquid has been absorbed. (Depending on the thickness of the oats, this will take from 5 to 15 minutes.)
- Serve hot, topped with a little maple syrup or brown sugar and some skim or low-fat milk, if desired.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.