Cinnamon, raisin, & apple muffins (allergy-free)
With egg-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free versions, this muffin recipe is a true allergy-free treat.
Prep Time: 8M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: makes 12 muffins
Egg & nut free
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 3 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- 2 apples, unpeeled and grated
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup milk
- raw sugar to sprinkle (optional)
- Line 12 sections of a muffin pan with average-sized paper muffin cups or butter the pan well. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon into a bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. You will have a thick wet dough.
- Spoon into the prepared sections (they should be full). Bake in the oven until risen, pale golden, and firm to the touch, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Pictured here
- These muffins keep well for a few days in an airtight container and can also be frozen.
Dairy free also egg & nut free: Follow the recipe for Egg & nut free, but substitute dairy-free spread for the butter or ordinary margarine and soy, rice, or oat milk for the cow's milk.
Gluten free also egg & nut free: Follow the recipe for Egg & nut free, but substitute gluten-free all-purpose flour for the ordinary flour and make sure the baking powder is gluten free too. Add an extra 4 tablespoons of milk in step 3.
Excerpted from Allergy-Free Cookbook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!