Cinnamon-Vanilla French Toast
You can use 12 oat bran or whole wheat English muffin halves, or 12 pieces of presliced multigrain, oatmeal, or whole wheat bread in this cinnamon-vanilla French toast recipe.
Serves: 12 slices (1 slice per serving)
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free egg substitute
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 oblong loaf multigrain or oatmeal bread (about 6-x-12-inches, or 1 pound), unsliced
- Place the egg substitute, milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla extract in a blender, and process until well mixed. Pour the mixture into a shallow bowl, and set aside.
- Slice twelve 3/4-inch-thick pieces of bread from the loaf. (You will need only about three-fourths of the loaf.) Dip each bread slice in the egg mixture, turning to coat both sides and to thoroughly soak the bread.
- Coat a griddle or large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles when it hits the surface. (If using an electric griddle, preheat the griddle to 375°F.)
- Arrange the bread slices on the griddle, and cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. As the slices are done, transfer them to a serving plate and keep warm in a preheated oven.
- Serve hot, topped with Berry Fresh Fruit Sauce, Warm Apple Topping, maple syrup, or honey.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.