Cinnamon Whole-Wheat Pancakes with Chunky Applesauce
Homemade pancakes provide the cinnamon and chunky applesauce provides the sugar in this tasty breakfast dish.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 1/2 cups chunky-style applesauce
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon-sugar mixture
- Combine flours, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in medium bowl; mix well.
- Combine egg substitute, brown sugar and skim milk in covered container; shake until ingredients are blended.
- Gradually pour mixture into dry ingredients and mix until combined (do not overbeat). If batter is too thick, add a little more milk.
- Spray large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Scoop batter with 1/4 cup measuring cup and pour into hot skillet. Cook over medium heat until bubbles start to form on top; flip pancake and cook 1 to 2 minutes, until lightly browned on both sides.
- Place chunky-style applesauce in microwave-safe bowl; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture and mix well. Cover and heat on High 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, until warmed. Serve with pancakes.
- Pancakes can be wrapped and refrigerated or frozen; heat applesauce just before serving pancakes.
- Applesauce provides the same goodness of whole apples, especially when made with unpeeled apples.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.