Citrus Fruit Salad
Refreshing, colorful and full of vitamins, this is sunshine in a bowl
Prep Time: 20M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 3 oranges
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 ruby grapefruit
- 2 clementines or mandarins
- juice of 1 lime
- 1-2 tbsp sugar (optional)
- lime zest, to decorate (optional)
- With a sharp knife, cut away the skin and pith from the oranges and grapefruit. Cutting toward the core of the fruit and working over a bowl, cut away each segment, sliding the knife blade close to the membrane that separates them.
- Place all the segments in a bowl. Squeeze any remaining juice from the membranes, then discard the membranes.
- Peel the clementines and divide into segments. Add to the bowl, then add the lime juice. Sprinkle with the sugar, if using. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, until chilled.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon the salad into dessert cups and garnish with the lime zest, if using. Serve chilled.
- Prepare ahead: The salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
Sweet Citrus Salad: Make as above, but replace the 2 grapefruits with 1 pomelo or ugli fruit. These fruits have naturally sweeter flavors, so you can omit the sugar entirely.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!