Cottage Cheese Pancakes
Cottage cheese and a hint of orange make these pancakes tasty and moist.
Serves: 16 pancakes (1 pancake per serving)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon dried grated orange rind
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup skim or low-fat milk
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free egg substitute, or 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Place the flour, orange rind, and baking powder in a medium-sized bowl, and stir to mix well. Add the milk, cottage cheese, and egg substitute or egg whites, and stir to mix well.
- Coat a griddle or large skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles when it hits the surface. (If using an electric griddle, heat the griddle according to the manufacturer's directions.)
- For each pancake, pour 3 tablespoons of batter onto the griddle, and spread into a 3-inch circle. Cook for 1 minute and 30 seconds, or until the top is bubbly and the edges are dry. Turn and cook for an additional minute, or until the second side is golden brown. As the pancakes are done, transfer them to a serving plate and keep warm in a preheated oven.
- Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.