Tart cranberry scones are great for breakfast, lunch, teatime, or anytime!
Serves: Serves: 6
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat sour cream
- 6 ounces dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line baking sheet with foil and spray with nonfat cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and orange peel in medium bowl; mix until blended.
- Stir in sour cream (if batter is too thick, add a few drops of skim milk).
- Fold in cranberries.
- Pat dough onto floured surface to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut out circles with 2-inch-round cutter or top of glass dipped in flour.
- Arrange scones on baking sheet and bake 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool scones 10 minutes while preparing glaze: Combine powdered sugar and water in small cup and mix until smooth. Drizzle over scones.
- Serve immediately or freeze and reheat in microwave or oven. Wrap scones individually for quick thawing.
- Scones with your coffee, why not indulge? Coffee sometimes gets a bad rap, but no studies have conclusively linked coffee to cancer, heart disease or other major diseases.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.