This classic brunch dish of poached eggs on a bed of spinach is also good for lunch or dinner
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 10M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1lb ( 450g) fresh spinach, well rinsed but not dried
- 4 hot poached eggs
- 4 slices buttered toast, to serve
- Melt 2 tbsp of the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour and let bubble for 1 minute. Gradually beat in the milk. Cook, whisking often, until boiling and thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk egg yolks and cream together, then whisk into the sauce. Stir in 3/4 cup of the Gruyère. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining 2 tbsp butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring often, about 2 minutes, until softened. Add the rinsed spinach, cover, and cook about 5 minutes, until the spinach has wilted. Drain well.
- Position a broiler rack about 6in (15cm) from the source of heat and preheat the broiler. Divide the spinach among four flameproof ramekins. Using a slotted spoon, place a poached egg in each ramekin, then top with the sauce and sprinkle with the remaining Gruyère. Broil until the cheese is melted and golden. Serve hot, with the toast.
- 4 flameproof serving dishes
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!