Categories: Comfort Foods, Cooking with Kids, Kid-friendly, Quick to fix, Vegetarian
This makes a hot, satisfying breakfast or brunch
Prep Time: 5M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1 1/4 cups whole millk
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half or more milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 8 slices of white bread, preferably day-old
- 4 tbsp butter
- maple syrup, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°F (95°C). In a shallow dish, beat together the milk, half-and-half, eggs, sugar, and vanilla.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. In batches, submerge each bread slice in the egg mixture until just saturated but not soaked. Add to the frying pan and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while cooking the remaining bread.
- Cut the toasts in half diagonally and arrange 4 pieces on each serving plate. Drizzle with maple syrup and serve.
- Good with a few summer berries or a spoonful of yogurt.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!