Fruit muesli is a super nutritious breakfast cereal and a snap to make.
Serves: 12 1/2 cup servings
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats (Look for oats that cook in 5 minutes)
- 3/4 cup barley nugget cereal
- 3/4 cup honey crunch wheat germ
- 1/2 cup dark raisins or chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped dried peaches or cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, hazelnuts, walnuts, or almonds (optional)
- Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl, and stir to mix well. Transfer to an airtight container, and store for up to 4 weeks.
- To serve, place 1/2 cup of muesli in an individual serving bowl, and add 3/4 cup of low-fat milk, nonfat vanilla or plain yogurt, or applesauce. Stir, and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.