Green Tea Bread
Green tea helps boost your health and is the star of this nutty breakfast bread that's perfect for Chinese New Year or anytime.
Serves: serves 6
- 12 oz (375 g) seedless brown and golden raisins, mixed
- 11/4 cups green tea (or your favorite tea)
- 3/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 oz (90 g) mixed chopped almonds, walnuts, and hazelnuts
- Put the dried fruit in a large bowl and stir in the tea and sugar. Cover and set aside to soak overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease a 2-lb (1-kg) loaf pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the dried-fruit mixture and beat well.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan, pushing the mixture into the corners of the pan.
- Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Turn out of the pan and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!