Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Best eaten freshly made, this quick-to-make treat is perfect for brunch
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 20 mins
Serves: makes 12 muffins
- 2 2 / 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1 / 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 / 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 / 4 tsp salt
- 1 / 2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1 / 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp sour cream
- 4 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 1 / 4 cup vegetable oil
- zest of 2 large lemons, finely grated
- confectioner's sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400癋 (200癈). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and poppy seeds, making a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the sour cream, butter, oil, and lemon zest. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just mixed. Divide the batter among the muffin cups, filling each one three-quarters full.
- Bake the muffins for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the pan, and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Sift confectioner's sugar over the tops while still warm.
- prep 10 mins; cook 20 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!