This colorful dish can be made with any melon, cut with a melon baller for a formal event or into cubes for a casual snack
Prep Time: 15M, plus chilling
Serves: makes 4 servings
- about 1 1/3 lb ( 600g) watermelon
- about 1 1/3 lb ( 600g) cantaloupe
- about 1 1/3 lb ( 600g) honeydew
- 3 tbsp finely chopped mint, plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 tbsp honey
- Using a melon baller, scoop balls of each melon, or cut the fruit into 1in (2cm) cubes. Place the fruit in a large bowl. Add the chopped mint and honey and toss gently.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to allow the melon to absorb the honey and mint flavors.
- When ready to serve, spoon the melon and any juices into individual serving dishes. Garnish each serving with mint.
- Prepare ahead: The fruit can be prepared up to 4 hours in advance and refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Good with a rich meal as a light palate-cleansing dessert, or as a refreshing starter.
Exotic Fruit Cocktail: Use one kind of melon and add any variation of cut fruit, such as star fruit, pineapple, kiwi, mango, blueberries, and strawberries.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!