Easy-to-make soft white rolls that are ideal for breakfast
Prep Time: prep 40 mins, plus rising
Cooking Time: cook 20 mins
Serves: makes 16 rolls
- 3 2 / 3 cups bread flour
- one 1 / 4 oz ( 7g) envelope instant yeast
- 2 tsp light brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp tepid water
- Combine the flour, yeast, brown sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the water. Stir to make a soft dough. Knead well on a lightly floured work surface about 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place for 1 hour, until doubled.
- Punch down the dough. Divide into 16 pieces and shape into balls. Arrange 2in (5cm) apart on two lightly oiled baking sheets. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let stand until puffy, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°F). Bake for 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- prep 40 mins, plus rising; cook 20 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!