Mushroom and Mozzarella Frittata
The thyme and pepper complement the cheese and mushrooms in this filling frittata.
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 cups fat-free egg substitute
- 1/4 cup grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Place the egg substitute and Parmesan in a medium-sized bowl. Stir to mix well, and set aside.
- Coat a 10-inch oven-proof skillet with olive oil cooking spray, and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, thyme, and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, for about 4 minutes, or until the mushrooms start to brown and begin to release their juices. Cover the skillet periodically if it begins to dry out. (The steam from the cooking vegetables will moisten the skillet.) Spread the mushrooms evenly over the bottom of the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to low, and pour the egg mixture over the mushrooms. Cook without stirring for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the eggs are almost set.
- Place the skillet under a preheated broiler, and broil for about 3 minutes, or until the eggs are set but not dry.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over the frittata, and broil for an additional minute, or until the cheese has melted. Cut the frittata into wedges, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.