Pineapple Upside-Down French Toast
This breakfast version of a pineapple upside-down cake will make every member of the family smile!
Serves: Serves: 4 (2 pieces)
- 2 cups (two 8-ounce cans) pineapple slices, packed in fruit juice, drained and 1/4 cup liquid reserved
- 4 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar Twin
- 1 1/3 cups skim milk
- 2 eggs or equivalent in egg substitute
- 8 slices reduced-calorie bread
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a rimmed 9-by-13-inch cookie sheet sprayed with butter-flavored cooking spray, evenly arrange pineapple slices. Place a cherry in center of each ring. Evenly sprinkle Brown Sugar Twin over pineapple slices.
- In a shallow bowl, combine skim milk, reserved pineapple juice, eggs, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
- Dip bread slices into milk mixture, coating both sides.
- Evenly place bread slices over pineapple.
- Evenly pour any remaining milk mixture over bread. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
From COOKING HEALTHY WITH THE KIDS IN MIND by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 1998 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here.