A French classic, this egg and bacon tart is the original and the best
Prep Time: prep 35 mins, plus chilling
Cooking Time: cook 35 mins
Serves: makes 8 servings
For the dough
- 1 1 / 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out
- 8 tbsp butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tbsp ice water, as needed
For the filling
- 7oz (200g) bacon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 / 3 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 / 3 cup heavy cream
- 2 / 3 cup whole milk
- freshly ground black pepper
- To make the dough, pulse the flour and butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Mix the yolk and water. Transfer the flour mixture to a bowl and stir in enough of the water mixture until the dough clumps together. Gather in a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough 1/8in (3mm) thick. Line a 9in (23cm) tart pan with a removable bottom with the dough, trimming any excess. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Prick the dough with a fork, and line with parchment paper and beans. Place on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Remove the parchment paper and beans and bake another 10 minutes, until golden.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large frying pan over medium heat about 4 minutes, until golden. Add the onion and cook 2-3 minutes, until softened. Spread in the pastry shell, then sprinkle with the Gruyere.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, and season with pepper. Pour into the shell. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden and just set. Serve hot, warm, or cold.
- prep 35 mins, plus chilling; cook 35 mins
Mushroom Quiche: Omit the onion, bacon, and Gruyere. Cook 1 large red onion, finely chopped, with 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add 10oz (300g) of sliced mixed mushrooms and 1 minced garlic clove. Cook for another 6 minutes. Spoon into the pastry and sprinkle with 4 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese and 3 tbsp chopped parsley. Add the custard and bake as above.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!