Sausage and Potato Strata
You can use sausage, kielbasa, or a turkey product in this versatile breakfast dish.
Serves: 6 servings
- 3 cups sliced cooked potatoes (about 3 medium)
- 1 1/4 cups shredded nonfat or reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (about 6 ounces) diced smoked sausage or kielbasa, at least 97% lean, or 8 ounces Turkey Breakfast Sausage, cooked, crumbled, and drained
- 1 1/4 cups evaporated skim milk
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free egg substitute
- Coat an 8-inch (2-quart) square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, and arrange half of the potatoes over the bottom of the pan, slightly overlapping the slices. Sprinkle half of the cheese and then half of the sausage over the potatoes.
- Place the evaporated milk and egg substitute in a medium-sized bowl, and whisk to mix well. Pour half of the egg mixture over the potato, cheese, and sausage layers. Repeat all of the layers.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for about 1 hour, or until the top is nicely browned and a sharp knife inserted in the center of the dish comes out clean. Remove the dish from the oven, and let sit for 15 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.