Spinach and Bacon Quiche
Spinach, turkey bacon, mozzarella cheese, and potatoes combine with egg substitute to make an unforgettable quiche.
- 4 slices extra-lean turkey bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups (packed) chopped fresh spinach
- 1 1/4 cups shredded nonfat or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon unbleached flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free egg substitute
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 2 medium baking potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese*
- Nonstick cooking spray
- * In this recipe, use regular Parmesan cheese, not a fat-free product.
- Arrange the bacon slices in a large nonstick skillet, and cook for 2 minutes over medium heat. Turn and cook for 2 or 3 additional minutes, or until crisp and brown. Transfer the bacon to paper towels, and set aside to drain.
- Place the same skillet over medium heat, and add the onion. Cover and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes, or until the onion is crisp-tender. Add a little water if the skillet becomes too dry. Add the spinach, and stir-fry for another minute or 2, or until the spinach is wilted. Remove the skillet from the heat, and set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the cheese, flour, and pepper in a large bowl, and toss to mix well. Add the egg substitute and evaporated milk, and stir to mix well. Stir in the spinach and onion. Crumble the bacon, and add to the egg mixture. Set aside.
- Coat a 9-inch deep dish pie pan with nonstick cooking spray. Slice the unpeeled potatoes 1/4-inch thick, and arrange the slices in a single layer over the bottom and sides of the pan to form a crust. Pour the egg mixture into the crust, and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Spray the exposed edges of the potatoes lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake uncovered at 375°F for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a sharp knife inserted in the center of the quiche comes out clean. Allow to cool at room temperature for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.