Spinach and Mushroom Crepes
Savory crepes are great for lunch, supper, or brunch
Prep Time: prep 30 mins plus standing
Cooking Time: cook 1 hr 10 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
For the crepes
- 1 1 / 4 cups whole milk
- scant 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp light olive oil or melted butter, plus extra for frying
- pinch of salt
For the filling
- 2 tbsp butter
- 7oz (200g) mushrooms, chopped
- one 10oz (280g) box frozen chopped spinach
- thawed 1 3 / 4 cups bechamel sauce
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 / 4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
- 1 / 2 tsp dry mustard
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- To make the crepes, process all of the ingredients in a blender until smooth. Let the mixture stand for 30 minutes.
- Lightly grease the frying pan with melted butter. Add about 3 tbsp of the batter to the pan, and tilt and swirl the pan so the batter covers the bottom. Cook until the underside is golden brown. Turn the crepe and cook until the other side is golden. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter, buttering the pan as needed. You should have 12 crepes. Separate the crepes with pieces of wax paper.
- To make the filling, melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add the spinach and 1/4 cup of the bechamel sauce. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Divide the filling among the crepes. Roll them up and place in a shallow buttered baking dish. Stir the Cheddar and mustard into the remaining sauce and season with salt and pepper. Spread over the crepes. Arrange the tomato on top and sprinkle with the Parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbling and browned.
- prep 30 mins plus standing; cook 1 hr 10 mins
Spinach and Ricotta Crepes: Replace the mushrooms with 10oz (300g) ricotta cheese. Add to the cooked spinach and fill the pancakes.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!