Sweet Corn Muffins
Rich buttermilk, dates, and butter make these sweet corn muffins a treat not to be missed.
Serves: 14 muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons nonfat or low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons molasses or honey
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat margarine or light butter, melted
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- Place the flour, cornmeal, and baking powder in a large bowl, and stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Place the buttermilk, molasses or honey, margarine or butter, and egg whites in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture, and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the dates.
- Coat the bottoms only of muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray, and fill two-thirds full with the batter. Bake at 350°F for about 14 minutes, or just until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake.
- Remove the muffin tins from the oven, and allow to sit for 5 minutes before removing the muffins. Serve warm or at room temperature, refrigerating any leftovers not eaten within 24 hours.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.