Toad in the Hole
Sausages baked in popover batter make a quick brunch
Prep Time: 20M, plus standing
Cooking Time: 40M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 Italian sausage links
- To make the batter, combine the flour and salt in a bowl and make a well in the center. Add the eggs to the well with 1/2 cup of the milk. Whisk, gradually beating in the remaining milk, until smooth. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Pour the oil into a 13 × 9in (33 × 23cm) baking dish. Add the sausages and turn to coat in the oil. Bake for 5-10 minutes, until they are just colored and the fat is very hot.
- Reduce the temperature to 400°F (200°C). Carefully pour the batter around the sausages. Continue baking for 30 minutes more, or until the batter is golden and crisp. Serve hot.
- Prepare ahead: The batter can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Whisk briefly just before using.
- Good with a green salad and spicy mustard.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!