This Spanish version of French toast can be served with maple syrup, honey, or fresh fruit compote
Prep Time: prep 5 mins, plus standing
Cooking Time: cook 20 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 8 slices stale baguette, crusts removed
- 3 1 / 4 cups whole milk
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup olive oil, for frying
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- confectioner's sugar, for sifting
- maple syrup, for drizzling
- Arrange the bread in a shallow dish. Bring the milk, sugar, and cinnamon to a boil in a saucepan, stirring often, over medium heat. Pour over the bread. Let stand for 15 minutes, until the bread has soaked up all the milk. Remove the cinnamon stick and discard.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F (95°C) Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until the oil shimmers. Beat the eggs in a shallow dish. In batches, dip a slice of the bread in beaten egg to coat, then add to the frying pan. Fry, turning once, until golden. Transfer to the paper towels and keep warm in the oven.
- Transfer to a serving platter, sift the confectioner's sugar on top, and drizzle with syrup. Serve warm.
- prep 5 mins, plus standing; cook 20 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!