Zucchini and Tomato Frittata
Tomatoes and zucchini lend nice color to this egg dish.
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 cups fat-free egg substitute
- 1/4 cup grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Place the egg substitute and Parmesan in a medium-sized bowl. Stir to mix well, and set aside.
- Coat a 10-inch oven-proof skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Add the zucchini, onion, tomatoes, basil, and pepper, and stir-fry for about 4 minutes, or until the zucchini and onion are crisp-tender. Spread the mixture evenly over the bottom of the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to low, and pour the egg mixture over the vegetables. Cook without stirring for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the eggs are almost set.
- Place the skillet under a preheated broiler, and broil for about 3 minutes, or until the eggs are set but not dry. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the frittata, and broil for an additional minute, or until the cheese is melted and the top is nicely browned.
- Cut the frittata into wedges, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.