Zucchini-Wild Rice Quiche
This unusual quiche calls for zucchini, wild rice, bell pepper, and two cheeses.
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 cups zucchini sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 2 medium)
- 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup fat-free egg substitute
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon nonfat Parmesan cheese*
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese*
- 1 tablespoon fat-free egg substitute
- * In this recipe, use regular Parmesan cheese, not a fat-free product.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Add the zucchini, red pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Cover, and, stirring occasionally, cook for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Add a little water if the skillet gets too dry. Remove the skillet from the heat, and let the vegetables cool slightly. Drain off any liquid, and set aside.
- To make the crust, place the rice, Parmesan cheese, and egg substitute in a medium-sized bowl, and stir to mix well. Coat a 9-inch deep dish pie pan with nonstick cooking spray, and place the mixture in the pan. Using the back of a spoon, pat the mixture over the bottom and sides of the pan, forming an even crust.
- Add the mozzarella to the zucchini mixture, and toss to mix well. Spread the mixture evenly over the crust.
- Place the egg substitute, evaporated milk, and flour in a blender, and process until well mixed. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables, and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 375°F for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a sharp knife inserted in the center of the quiche comes out clean. Allow to cool at room temperature for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.