In Sweden, St. Lucy's day is celebrated to mark the beginning of Christmas season. Make this ham, cheese, and tomato pastry to get in on the fun.
Serves: 8 slices
- 1 pound pizza dough or thawed package of puff pastry
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- Sliced ham
- Sliced cheese
- Sliced tomatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Roll out the 1/2 the dough or unfold 1 sheet of the pastry.
- Dilute the mustard with some water and "paint" the dough with mustard to add bite and flavor.
- Layer sliced ham, cheese, and tomatoes onto the dough.
- Top with remaining rolled dough or pastry.
- Pinch the edges and glaze with an egg wash (1 egg; 1 tablespoon water).
- Make a small slit in the top for the steam to escape.
- Chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator then bake in a hot 400 oven for 20-25 minutes or until brown.
- Can be served hot, warm or at room temperature.